Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is this langauge?

4 posters

Go down

What is this langauge? Empty What is this langauge?

Post  noobProgrammer Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm

I just clicked on this thread and like I have never heard of this language before. DX

Could you guys like tell me a little about it other than the basic stuff(Google + Wikipedia = Win)?

Thanks.

noobProgrammer

Back to top Go down

What is this langauge? Empty Re: What is this langauge?

Post  David B Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 pm

C# is one of the many C languages out there. In addition to C++ and C#, there is C, and C-- (C-- is not a very popular language however.)

All of these languages are grouped together not only by name, but by style and how they were created. All of these languages are based off of one another. I don't know in what order each language came about, however I do know the C came out, and then C++ was released.

I also know the story of how C++ got its name. As you will learn, if you take the time to learn the language, C++ uses the "++" command to increment to increment a variable. See the example code to see this in action. I have commented on the code to make it easier to understand. Comments can be identified by the "//".

The following code is C++, and not C! Please be aware that syntax errors may be present in the program, as this was typed in the box for the purpose of being an example, and this code is not complete, nor is it 100% accurate.

Code:
#include <iostream> // Ignore this, this is too advanced for a beginner to understand without an in-depth explanation.
using namespace std; // Ignore this as well.

int main() // This declares the main function in which most of the program code will be included.
{
      int ExampleVar = 0; // This declares a variable named "ExampleVar" of type "int" (short for integer), and sets its value to 0.
      ExampleVar++; // This statement will take the variable named "ExampleVar" and will increment by one, which will set it to one. Remember, ++ means increment by one, so ExampleVar now equals 1.
      ExampleVar--; // Unlike ++ which increments, -- decrements by one; ExampleVar once again equals 0.
}

The above code demonstrates the use of the ++ and -- operators. These are necessary to understand the story of how C++ got its name. Click on the spoiler to read it.

Spoiler:
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

https://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  legolizard Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 pm

LAWL DB look at the forum mate this this not C++, it is C#. tsk tsk tsk

But to clarify DB is right in that C++ got it's name from C in that it is C "plus one", or C with classes. (Yes I know C++ really is not a superset of C.
-_-)

Anyway I don't know much about C# and if you ask me you may get a kind of biased opinion.(As always. XD), but uhhh lets see...

You pronouce it as C sharp.(I did not know that and I used to call it C hash since that is what it means in C++. XD)

Furthermore, C# is not really based in my humble opinion really on C but rather Java although there are some, some C influences.

And honestly C# to me goes like this..

C# = (Java + C / 85) + Microsoft

Last edited by legolizard on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
legolizard
legolizard

Back to top Go down

Post  David B Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 pm

legolizard wrote:LAWL DB look at the forum mate this this not C++, it is C#. tsk tsk tsk

But to clarify DB is right in that C++ got it's name from C in that it is C "plus one", or C with classes.

Anyway I don't know much about C# and if you ask me you may get a kind of biased opinion.(As always. XD), but uhhh lets see...

You pronouce it as C sharp.(I did not know that and I used to call it C hash since that is what it means in C++. XD)

Furthermore, C# is not really based in my humble opinion really on C but rather Java although there are some, some C influences.

And honestly C# to me goes like this..

C# = (Java + C / 85) + Microsoft
Thanks for verifying what I said, I was sure that the story was correct, but I wanted someone to double-check me.
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  noobProgrammer Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks guys, any other stuff? After a little reaserch I found that there are many different styles of programming, like procederual and object orented and a bunch of ways to program like procederal style object oriented style and a whole bunch of other styles and it looks like C# is all object oriented like Java(is that the Java influence legolizard?), which seems more advanced for me right now. Sad

But thanks now I know a little about C# and C++ too. . Very Happy

noobProgrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  David B Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:46 pm

noobProgrammer wrote:Thanks guys, any other stuff? After a little reaserch I found that there are many different styles of programming, like procederual and object orented and a bunch of ways to program like procederal style object oriented style and a whole bunch of other styles and it looks like C# is all object oriented like Java(is that the Java influence legolizard?), which seems more advanced for me right now. Sad

But thanks now I know a little about C# and C++ too. . Very Happy
There are other languages on this forum, but I do not know them. Among those on my languages to learn include:

• finishing up C++
  • Java
  • HTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP, (and yes, HTML5)
  • Python
This of course will take some time, especially for Python which has a super large book! I anticipate that I will finish all of these languages by 2015.
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighthawk0973 Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:06 pm

C# is another reworking of C. Supposingly, it's microsofts attempt at creating a language with the functionality of C++, but more Java-like in terms of simplicity. Take a comparison at a java/C# hello world program. (hello world is the programming intro, a basic print text statement)

Java Hello World:

Code:

public class Main{

public static void main(String[] args){

System.out.println("Hello World");

}

}

C# Hello World

Code:

public class Main{

public static void main(String[] args){

Console.WriteLine("Hello World");

Console.ReadLine();

}

}

Don't let this confusingness confuse you. This stuff is all simple. Hello World is your first program. lol. Once you know it, it will be simple Very Happy
Nighthawk0973
Nighthawk0973

Back to top Go down

Post  David B Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Nighthawk0973 wrote:Don't let this confusingness confuse you. This stuff is all simple. Hello World is your first program. lol. Once you know it, it will be simple Very Happy
That above statement is something that you should always keep in mind when programming.

Here is a C++ hello world.

Code:
// This is a basic Hello World program in C++.
// Do not let this intimidate you, as Nighthawk said,
// this is your first program, and should you decide to
// learn C++, this will all be taught to you.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
      cout << "Hello world!";
      return 0;
}

Last edited by legolizard on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I checked your code, only one mistake. ;))
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  noobProgrammer Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 pm

While it is nice that you are giving me all this information, wouldn't a C++ hellor world be better suited in the C++ thread? confused

But thanks Nighthawk, I may want to learn this too along with Java. Smile

noobProgrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  David B Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 am

noobProgrammer wrote:While it is nice that you are giving me all this information, wouldn't a C++ hellor world be better suited in the C++ thread? confused
Ahh, you are learning well!
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighthawk0973 Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 pm

This shouldn't even be in help for that matter. It would be better suited in 'General Discussion', as you're not actually getting help with C#.
Nighthawk0973
Nighthawk0973

Back to top Go down

Post  David B Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Nighthawk0973 wrote:This shouldn't even be in help for that matter. It would be better suited in 'General Discussion', as you're not actually getting help with C#.
You're a moderator! Why don't you do it?
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighthawk0973 Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Very well... (I new you would pipe in if I was right, so this was just a test to make sure I was)
Nighthawk0973
Nighthawk0973

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighthawk0973 Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

-Moved thread to Sub-Forum "General Discussion"-
Nighthawk0973
Nighthawk0973

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum