Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What compiler should I use for Java?

3 posters

:: Java :: Help!

Go down

What compiler should I use for Java? Empty What compiler should I use for Java?

Post  David B Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:54 pm

I am not sure whether or not Java is a language which requires a compiler, but if it does, what free compilers are available out there that I can use?

If Java is not a compiler language, how would I go about writing a java file?
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

https://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

What compiler should I use for Java? Empty Re: What compiler should I use for Java?

Post  legolizard Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Java is a funny language. See your code is compiled into java byte code and then interpreted by the JVM. LAWL.

I don't expect you to understand any of that(yet) but..ugh yes you do require a complier(the most up-to-date being the Java SE-6 compiler. Very Happy). Now I am assuming you don't want to compile Java via the command line (like a baws) and so you can download a java IDE that comes with the Java compiler and JVM such as...

Ecplise(Great IDE, but is really, REALLY d*mn slow and eats RAM for breakfast lunch and dinner. xD)

NetBeans(Good not as bulky as Ecplise I think)

JBuilder

And Sun Java Studio
legolizard
legolizard

Back to top Go down

What compiler should I use for Java? Empty Re: What compiler should I use for Java?

Post  David B Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:36 pm

legolizard wrote:...Now I am assuming you don't want to compile Java via the command line (like a baws)...
What is that?
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  legolizard Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Basically when you use notepad and then compile a java file using a batch file that invokes the Java compiler which then compiles your program and runs it.

Last edited by legolizard on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
legolizard
legolizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighthawk0973 Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:20 pm

That's the slow process. But hey, I use Eclipse. It's a lot like Code::Blocks, but lego's correct, it eats RAM for breakfeast, lunch, dinner, and 5 snacks in between. Have fun running your quality Java game XD. I might even have to switch to netbeans on my new Mac because it doesn't have all that much RAM. (only 512MB, which isn't that bad when you consider that Mac OSX uses RAM more efficiently, Windows requires 2x more RAM then Mac does to run certain games. lol pwned.)

But what you need is the JDK, which comes with the compiler. It's pretty much the only compiler. There isn't 50 million compilers to choose from like C++ has. Just download the JDK and then download your IDE to program with. Don't compiler through the command line (though I do know how to do this, so I must be a "baws" XD) because that involvings saving your countless files via notepad/notepad++, and then go into the command line and compile it, and then you have to run your main program, and hope you can fix the poor error messages. Eclipse saves/compiles/runs your code in one button press, and catches your errors before you can finish compiling and writing the rest of your program. This might be annoying to you but I like it, makes de-bugging an issue of logic errors, not programming mistakes.
Nighthawk0973
Nighthawk0973

Back to top Go down

Post  David B Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 pm

legolizard wrote:Java is a funny language. See your code is compiled into java byte code and then interpreted by the JVM. LAWL.

I don't expect you to understand any of that(yet) but..ugh yes you do require a complier(the most up-to-date being the Java SE-6 compiler. Very Happy). Now I am assuming you don't want to compile Java via the command line (like a baws) and so you can download a java IDE that comes with the Java compiler and JVM such as...

Ecplise(Great IDE, but is really, REALLY d*mn slow and eats RAM for breakfast lunch and dinner. xD)

NetBeans(Good not as bulky as Ecplise I think)

JBuilder

And Sun Java Studio
Your thoughts about Java are really funny.

legolizard wrote:Basically when you use notepad and then compile a java file using a batch file and that invokes the Java compiler which then compiles your program and runs it.
You speak beautiful English!

Nighthawk0973 wrote:That's the slow process. But hey, I use Eclipse. It's a lot like Code::Blocks, but lego's correct, it eats RAM for breakfeast, lunch, dinner, and 5 snacks in between.
My computer barely has enough RAM right now!

Nighthawk0973 wrote:Have fun running your quality Java game XD.
I am sensing sarcasm here.

Nighthawk0973 wrote:But what you need is the JDK, which comes with the compiler. It's pretty much the only compiler. There isn't 50 million compilers to choose from like C has. Just download the JDK and then download your IDE to program with. Don't compiler through the command line (though I do know how to do this, so I must be a "baws" XD) because that involvings saving your countless files via notepad/notepad , and then go into the command line and compile it, and then you have to run your main program, and hope you can fix the poor error messages. Eclipse saves/compiles/runs your code in one button press, and catches your errors before you can finish compiling and writing the rest of your program. This might be annoying to you but I like it, makes de-bugging an issue of logic errors, not programming mistakes.
Thanks Nighthawk!
David B
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down