An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Being a windows user, I never want to leave the epicness of my own OS, and head into the Mac world. Therefore, developing mobile applications can prove to be quite the issue. However I've undergone some research in the past few days and here is the results.

First off, let's just state my goal:
An easy to use editor, that allows me to program my own iOS apps, and compile it onto iOS 2 or higher, and
it also must be free. It also must support an easy to use scripting language.

Second, How I got my results:
That wonderful site called google. It helped me find a wikipedia page with tons of resources to help me find what I'm looking for.

Third, The Programs I found:

-Corona SDK
-Android SDK
-OpenPlug
-Giderous Mobile
-Java ME
-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework

After locating these programs I did some research on them. This is a small table that lists a brief definition of each of the editors:

Corona SDK
The Corona SDK is a free tool that was originally on the Mac, but is now on the Windows.

Android SDK
Obviously this doesn't port to iOS. However it works as an Eclipse plugin, and Eclipse is the definition of programmings greatest IDE Very Happy

OpenPlug
I don't know too much about this, but I know it uses some sort of flash engine, and it does compile to iOS

Giderous Mobile
Pretty much Corona with iOS Port.

Java ME
Java Micro Edition. Basically a mobile version of the JRE that has different APIs for mobile devices.

Microsoft .NET Compact Framework
Same thing as JME, except with Microsofts .NET framework. (yes lego, this means it probably has a modified version of C++, and C#)

Comparison:

Editor
iOS Compile
Free
Simple Language Used
Corona SDK
No
Yes
Yes - LUA
Android SDK
No
Yes
Kind of - Java
OpenPlug
Yes
Yes
No - HTML Style Language
Giderous Mobile
Yes
Yes
Yes - LUA
Java ME
Depending On Device
Yes
Kind of - Java
.NET Compact Framework
Depending On Device
Yes
Kind of - .NET Languages
Basically I want you guys to know this was for my reference initially so it might be kind of confusing. Anywas when I used Checks on lined paper Giderous Mobile got 3 checks, Corona being my second favorite. So far it looks like Giderous Mobile is the best option when it comes to creating apps. While LUA probably can't achomplish everything C++ can, LUA is very easy to use and learn, so I hope to get started soon.

Maybe I'll make some good tuts for you guys to leran how it's done Very Happy

Hope future Mobile Developers found this helpful, Nighthawk
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Thread moved from Mobile Application Development to Mobile Application Development Help.

Thread changed from regular post to Announcement.

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:49 pm

lol. Almost all my threads seem to have this happen. Just because I try to post things of usefulness. XD
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Nighthawk0973 wrote:lol. Almost all my threads seem to have this happen. Just because I try to post things of usefulness. XD
I'm sorry, now you can put this back on topic now.

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:53 pm

lol I'm not saying it's bad.

Anyways back on topic, I'm trying to learn how to use Giderous Mobile, and so far the Giderous Mobile development center, seems to be the most helpful. Here: http://giderosmobile.com/devcenter/index.php?title=Gideros_DevCenter
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:52 pm

...just figured out you need iOS sdk to publish your apps Sad
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Nighthawk0973 wrote:...just figured out you need iOS sdk to publish your apps Sad
Does this mean that I should scrap this forum?

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:03 pm

nah. There are plenty of other ways to develop mobile applications. Besides, if people do have the iOS SDK, or no somebody who does, then they could use this forum to ask questions about it!
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Nighthawk0973 wrote:nah. There are plenty of other ways to develop mobile applications. Besides, if people do have the iOS SDK, or no somebody who does, then they could use this forum to ask questions about it!
Okay...if you say so.

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Beachbum111111 wrote:You forgot about unity 3d.
Oh crap! I forgot!

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:27 am

...what do you mean? Unity3D is used to program mobile apps true.. but it's technically not programming and you can't do it without paying for the 100$(ish) version of the program. Do you see a alice section on here? Nope... Neutral

_________________
The Grid:
I tried to image clusters of information as they moved through the computer.
Were they jets, or motorcycles? Were the circuts like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day... I got in.
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Okay, maybe I won't add an Unity Section.

I will create a Unity Section provided one thing.: A user finds a free version of Unity 3D that has the full capability of the paid version, and runs normally, without being slow, and doesn't have a worry about any potential viruses.

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Gawd. There isn't one. There's no point anyways. The Free version is pretty darn powerful. the Most you're getting out of the full version is better features (which the free version already has some of the best features in the market and is considered one of the best game creation toolsets on there...) and the fact that it can port to mobile/Consoles. But seriously. It's not a programming language! It's a program. Programs, should not go into forums, about programming...

And I hope you start remembering this beachbum, because I've had to tell you 3-4 times.

_________________
The Grid:
I tried to image clusters of information as they moved through the computer.
Were they jets, or motorcycles? Were the circuts like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day... I got in.
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 pm

And I hope you start remembering this beachbum, because I've had to tell you 3-4 times.
Right now, I am leaning towards no as the answer in regards to Unity and Alice.

It is just my opinion, but like nighthawk said, it really doesn't fit the theme of this forum, which is programming.


Last edited by legolizard on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed quote tag.)

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:20 am

Thread Split (http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/t124-unity-alice-subforum-argument). Second Thread will be located at the PLCF Suggestions For Further Discussion.


Last edited by David B on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread URL Added. This Is Required For All Split Topics.)

_________________
The Grid:
I tried to image clusters of information as they moved through the computer.
Were they jets, or motorcycles? Were the circuts like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day... I got in.
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 am

Nighthawk0973 wrote:Thread Split (http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/t124-unity-alice-subforum-argument). Second Thread will be located at the PLCF Suggestions For Further Discussion.
Your moderation skills are really good! I was going to do this myself, but I decided that I would let one of you catch it.

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Nighthawk0973 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks! Anyways back on topic (nothing to talk about...)

_________________
The Grid:
I tried to image clusters of information as they moved through the computer.
Were they jets, or motorcycles? Were the circuts like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day... I got in.
avatar
Nighthawk0973
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 19
Location : In Front of My Computer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  David B on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I just noticed that the title of this thread isn't grammatically correct!

lol!


What the title is right now...



How it should be...



Leave it as it is...I think that it is kind of funny...

_________________
Programming Language Community Forums Administrator,








___________________



___________________

avatar
David B
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 618
Join date : 2011-07-20
Location : The Twilight Zone!

View user profile http://programmingforums.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An Information Post About Developing Mobile Apps With Windows

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum